My belief is that many people have a hate-hate relationship with brussels sprouts because of memories of tasteless, soggy or overcooked sprouts that they pushed around their plates or tried to hide under the table at Christmas.
This should not be case! Sprouts are delicious and nutrient rich (vitamin C and K).
Sprouts are in season from October to March and now is the perfect time to get a beautiful sprout stalk from your local farmer's market (the stalk above cost £1.50!)
Chilli and Garlic Brussels Sprouts
This simple recipe makes a delicious side dish or simple snack.
- Slice the spouts in half and rinse well.
- Par boil for 3 minutes and strain
- Gently fry the garlic and chilli until the garlic turns golden brown
- Add the sprouts and thinly sliced red pepper (optional)
- Add seasoning
- Gently fry for 4-6 minutes, ensuring that the sprouts still have a "bite"