The recent rise in people adopting a vegan diet and lifestyle is great but it also comes with a lot of pressure for many people to be a "good" vegan.
Aubergines haven't been my favourite vegetable which is problematic as it is often the vegetable of choice on vegan/vegetarian restaurant menus. I find that is normally undercooked, overcooked or very oily. But in the last weeks I have bought the round variety at the farmers' market and they taste incredible. They are sweet and are very easy to cook.
- Pre-heat oven to 160-180 degrees
- Cut the aubergine into "steaks" about 2 cms thick.
- Drizzle oil of choice
- Season with coriander, marjoram, thyme, parsley, black pepper, cayenne, salt
- Leave to marinade for 10-15 minutes (depending on how hungry you are)
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes
- Remove from over and sprinkle herb crust mix on top. Bake until herb crust turns golden brown.